Tobacco settlement to be used for laid-off workers
CARSON CITY -- A state task force approved a request Monday for $200,000 in tobacco settlement funds to help laid-off workers provide health care to their children.
The Task Force for a Healthy Nevada, which distributes about $3 million a year to help with the health care needs of children, unanimously endorsed the proposal by Assembly Majority Leader Barbara Buckley, D-Las Vegas, the Culinary union and the United Way.
The money will flow to the United Way, which will provide funds on a case-by-case basis, Buckley said.
Health insurance payments may be extended temporarily for some families until other programs kick in, or payments of prescription drugs may be made for those in need.
The state has made some other changes to help working parents who were laid off after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, she said. A six-month waiting period for some workers to participate in a state-funded health insurance program for children called Nevada Checkup has been waived.
The Task Force for a Healthy Nevada has nine members, three of whom are state lawmakers. The panel had about $200,000 left over from the grant review process from last year that was used to help the laid-off workers.